Thursday, December 22, 2016

Trying Legacy

I've been a committed user of Brother's Keeper for my genealogy software since I got back into genealogy in 2010.  But I bought a copy of Legacy a few years ago for its charting functions, which are vastly superior to BK.  When I watch Family Tree Webinars, Geoff Rasmussen is always demonstrating some snazzy function on Legacy, so I finally decided to give it a try.  Here's what I've found so far:

Pro's:
1.  The system of master sources and greater detail for sourcing is excellent
2.  Many more options for storing and displaying data
3.  Better to-do reports - This may be the key item for me because I find that I miss things when I go to a certain repository.  BK has only a primitive to-do system.
4.  More search options

Con's:
1.  Slower than BK - With 1 million+ names in the database, it just has a lot to crunch
2.  ID numbers, which are so important in the Grandma database, are present but sort of buried
3.  BK has a much cleaner interface - This is a big deal for me.

What genealogy software do you use?  What are the pro's and con's?  Let us know in a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment