Monday, May 1, 2017

Knocked Dolwn a Brick Wall! (Part I)

I've been stumped for two months now.  That's a long time to be unable to figure something out, especially when the answer is right in front of you.

When I started working on my 4-greats-grandfather Martin Fast #660209, I hardly knew anything about him.  Here is descendant chart that I had:

All the information that I had about him came from the marriage record of his son Isaac Martin Fast #51802 (b. ABT 1790), my 3-greats-grandfather, when he married in Reinland, West Prussia, in 1813.  And here is the marriage record:


Marriage record of Isaac Fast and Catharina Fast, 8 December 1813, Tiegenhagen Mennonite Church, West Prussia, Kirchen-Buch, 1780-1831, p. 102.  Accessed at http://mla.bethelks.edu, Congregation #314, on 14 October 2012.
From the record in the Tiegenhagen church book, you can see that Isaac Fast was the son of Martin Fast, who was from Schlobitten.  The village of Schlobitten was not in Glenn Penner's list of Mennonite villages in West Prussia, so I searched for it at Kartenmeister, which is an incredible list of villages in East and West Prussia.  It turned out to be a village in East Prussia.  I searched the online records from East Prussia, but I couldn't find Martin Fast.  That was five years ago, and I didn't know what else to do, so I just left it.

A couple months ago, I thought I should take another look at the records to see what I could find.  That will be Part II.

No comments:

Post a Comment